As the national sewerage company, Indah Water Konsortium (IWK) Sdn Bhd has always believed and emphasised in preserving the environment. It is in our DNA – that everything we do in our day-to-day operations – would ultimately focus on environmental protection and public health preservation. Additionally, IWK values the community we serve in and the people we engage in our daily business.
These two pillars – environment and community – form the core of the Company’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) principles. We believe in caring for our communities, protecting the environment and instil good values in our employees while delivering our highest commitments to our customers. To sum up, IWK’s flagship CSR programme is known as “IWK CARES”.
Under this flagship programme, IWK reaches out to communities and local stakeholders through our operation’s network and positively impacts them for the community’s betterment. Beyond environmental preservation and contributions to communities, a key approach in our CSR is also in imparting our knowledge to the younger generation by engaging educational institutions such as schools and colleges, and even families from the B40 group. Partnering and collaborating with Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) enables us to drive a greater impact, and as such, the Company’s CSR are guided by these pillars:
Protecting the environment particularly our water source which include rivers
Engage with the local communities including strategic collaboration with local NGOs and selected charity organisations
We support community-based educational learning programmes/ skills, especially from hard-core poor and B40 families
Among the activities conducted within the flagship programme are:
- IWK Friends of Rivers: IWK’s 21 operation offices the country adopt a river each to preserve and beautify by cleaning the rivers, having suitable graffiti art/mural, paintings, tree planting and informational notice board.
- Saya Sayang STP: Engaging our 21 operation offices with local authorities and communities nearby the STPs to care for our assets and create a sense of appreciation.
- Contributions to frontliners and NGOs: IWK supports the frontliners and local communities by supplying crucial medical equipment including personal protective equipment (PPE) to various hospitals, army and police personal and media practitioner across Malaysia, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic and give away food and other basic necessity to selected charity homes and B40 communities.
- Strategic collaboration with NGOs: Programmes such as ‘Adopt a Tree’ with Malaysian Nature Society and food distribution programme with PERTIWI.
- Observational Tour: IWK hosts national and international students and delegates who are keen to learn more about the Malaysian sewerage system and IWK’s role in rendering efficient sewerage services for all Malaysians.